Friday, September 5, 2014

Aquadawg Weekly Update #4 Mental Toughness

Aquadawgs!

Thanks for another great week. This week all the groups experienced more challenging sets with shorter intervals and more yards. For some of the swimmers it was a tough week but I saw a lot of potential and I was proud of those who I could see putting forth their best effort.

Since this week was a hard one, I talked with some of the swimmers about mental toughness. Mental toughness is a person’s ability to persevere through a difficult situation, specifically practice. There are times when I tell swimmers to do a set and they begin to doubt their ability before they even begin. If that is happening to you or your swimmer…stop it. Being in the water makes swimmers an awful judge of what they are capable of. Swimmers are often amazed at what they can do after they accomplish it. I watch the swimmers every practice and I consider myself a pretty good judge of ability. When I ask the swimmers to do a set it is because I am confident they can do it. It is when they start to become mentally weak that we have problems. I encourage swimmers and parents to read this article.


It goes through 7 tips to develop mental toughness. It is a great read. I hope all of our swimmers can develop a mentally tough mindset. For some it comes easier than others but it is something that can be developed.

Reminder our 2nd swim meet is Saturday (September 13th)! It will be hosted at our YMCA. I expect all the swimmers to be there if they can. We have been working hard and now its time to show what we can do!

The meet form can be found on the website. Print it off and bring it to me at practice by THURSDAY.

ADVANCED GROUP will be having a make-up practice Saturday September 6th from 9-10:30 am due to the lightening on Thursday. Please come prepared like a normal practice.

Lets bring our mental game to practice this week and get prepared to swim fast at the meet!

Coach Alisha 

No comments:

Post a Comment