Thursday, September 11, 2014

Weekly Update #5 Video Inspiration

Aquadawgs!

Thanks for another great week. We toned it down a little this week especially Thursday to focus on some technical things for our swim meet on Saturday.

This is our second meet so most of the swimmers should have an idea of their times by now. I would encourage all the swimmers to make a time goal as well as a technique goal for the swim meet. For example..."I want to go a 35 seconds in my 50 backstroke and have a good start." For a more detailed advice on times and why they are important read the second weekly update here.

Along with our time goals, I want the swimmers to bring some mental game with them on Saturday. I would like for them to really envision their goals and be excited to ready to swim.

One thing I love to do is watch old races online. There is nothing like a good race between Olympians to make you excited. I have posted 4 videos/video links to 4 very exciting races. There is one race of each stroke. I have put my own commentary on what I think is important to notice. But also just watch their intensity and flawless technique. Try to pick out what YOU want to work on in YOUR races.

(if your attention span or time is short just watch the last one...it is my favorite race ever.)

Butterfly: 

Watch Michael Phelps lose to Ryan Lochte in the 100m Butterfly in 2014 Grand Prix (which was right here in Mesa Arizona). This was Phelps first finals race after he came out of retirement. Listen to the interview at the end. Phelps comments how he loves racing Lochte because they make each other swim faster.

Michael Phelps edged by Lochte in Mesa Comeback

Backstroke:

Watch how Missy Franklin (17 years old) gets way out in front but still stays strong and races the clock to beat the world record.

Missy Franklin Breaks the 200m Backstroke World Record 2012 Olympics

Breaststroke:

Watch Rebecca Soni glide in her breaststroke. She increases her tempo in the end but never loses her glide.

Rebecca Soni Breaks the 200m Breaststroke World Record 2012 Olympics

Freestyle:

Last...one of the best swimming races EVER. MUST WATCH for inspiration. AMAZING. Make sure you have the sound on a listen to what the commentators are saying.

2008 Beijing Olympics Swimming Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Final


Watching these makes me want to hop in the pool! I am excited to see everyone race on Saturday!

Coach Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment