Friday, November 21, 2014

Weekly Update: Body Position & Being a Parent to a Swimmer

Aquadawgs!

Thanks for another great week.

I was surprised with the birthday gift I received from many of the swimmers on Thursday. Thanks to Deb and all the swimmers and families who participated in this and wished me a happy birthday. I felt very loved and it put a smile on my face the whole night.

This week all of the groups spend Tuesday working on effective streamlines and proper body position. Body position is essential to swimming fast. If swimmers stay nice and tall then when they rotate their stroke and kick are effective. But as soon their body loses tension and starts wiggling side to side the effectiveness of their stroke goes down drastically. My goal is to make swimming as efficient and therefore as easy as possible. We do not want to work harder than we have to.

Here is an article with more information on improving your body position: 3 Steps to Better Body Position

This article about how to be a good parent, athlete, and coach was shared with me this week. It tells some of the worst things that all of us do and gives a list on something better to do. It is a very good article. Beneficial for all to read: Ten Ways for the Swim Parent To Sabotage Their Childs Swimming Career

SAVE THE DATE our next swim meet is Saturday December 13th at 7:00am the Ahwatukee YMCA. Please have your meet forms to me by Thursday December 11th

There will be NO PRACTICE Thursday November 27th and Friday November 28th due to Thanksgiving. 

Swimmers get ready for the TURKEY swim next week. I can't wait!

Coach Alisha
alisha.maxwell@vosymca.org

No comments:

Post a Comment