Sunday, November 16, 2014

Weekly Update: Creating Good Habits


Aquadwags!

Thanks for another great week.

Last week we increased the intensity and worked heavily on IMs. The beginner group had some fun with relays. The intermediate worked on swimming faster for longer distances. The advanced and high school groups worked on some breath control, race plans for IMs and speed. 

Lately, I have had talks with many of our swimmers about making changes to their technique and breaking those bad habits that many of us develop. Breaking habits can be a long process. It is important that our swimmers stay persistent when trying to improve their technique. I can personally give them tips at practice but unless they continually put them into action they will not improve. As I have told many swimmers the most important time to think about technique is warm up. Warm up is an important time because there is no time or speed pressure. It is meant to be nice, easy and long. I believe warm up is the time that those bad habits can be changed. Read this article about the time it takes to develop good swimming habits: How Long Does it Take To Create Good Swimming Habits?

An advanced swimmer this week showed me this picture. It is her goals modeled after the chart I made as an example (see post here). I love to see swimmers pay attention and apply the things they are learning. I would love to see other Aquadawg goals! Feel free to email or show me pictures: alisha.maxwell@vosymca.org
SAVE THE DATE our next swim meet is Saturday December 13th at 7:00am the Ahwatukee YMCA. Please have your meet forms to me by Thursday December 11th

Thanks!

Coach Alisha
alisha.maxwell@vosymca.org

1 comment:

  1. What was the thing you said swimmers always wear you wear it at practice all the time I want to get one for Christmas

    ReplyDelete